Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: 50's doll?

  1. #11
    HB Forum Owner moderator's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 20th, 1999
    Posts
    952
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Does anyone know why some ImageStation albums--including mine--haven't been displaying photos for days? I noticed another member here was experiencing the same thing with hers. It's really odd! I wish I could share the '50s photo. [img]frown.gif[/img]

    I guess since my photos aren't working I'll just point to the website where I got the pattern from! It's here:
    http://www.morrisseydolls.com/twndrs.html
    under "Retro Poodle Skirt Set."

    Morrissey Dolls re-makes patterns in sizes for other dolls, so if you like the one they have for My Twinn, it might be worth e-mailing them and asking if they will offer the same pattern in an AG size. [img]smile.gif[/img]

  2. #12
    Inactive Member Kathy Henning's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 4th, 2003
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Kim,
    You gave me a good laugh before I go to bed. I was born in 1943 and I had a poodle skirt. I did not have many outfits since I wore a uniform to school for all 12 years but I did manage to buy myself a poodle skirt.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member Grapedy1982's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 8th, 2004
    Posts
    400
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I made myself a poodle skirt one year, but couldn't find any saddle shoes to wear with it. [img]frown.gif[/img]

  4. #14
    courtneysunshine
    Guest courtneysunshine's Avatar

    Smile

    Kathy, do you still have the skirt or pictures of yourself in it? If you do, could you post them? I think it would be great to see you in your skirt [img]smile.gif[/img] I'm also curious as to who is your favorite doll? My daughter seems to think Molly would be my Mom's favorite since she was born in '43. My Mom keeps telling her she was born in '43, she wasn't eight like Molly would have been. She is a '50's kid all the way [img]smile.gif[/img]

    Rachel, when I was in high school, an updated '50's style came out. Probably the influence of the Stray Cats. Anyway, saddle oxfords became easier to find. I bought a pair then and still have them [img]smile.gif[/img] I had a friend tell me they were shopping for their seven year old the other day and they found saddle shoes at the Stride Rite store. Maybe this means they will be easier to find [img]smile.gif[/img]

    Kim

  5. #15
    Inactive Member Pat B's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 10th, 2002
    Posts
    321
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The poodle skirt was one of the few fad items of the 1950s. I think that it only lasted a year or two. An AG Doll of the 1950s could wear items similar to Molly.Suday and party dresses would have fuller skirts.
    An AG doll of the 50s would have to be very different from Molly in order to sell. A Korean War orphan could have some interesting storys.

  6. #16
    Inactive Member auri's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2004
    Posts
    543
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    For anyone who's interested in what the world of a 50s girl might include, here's a great timeline of major events in 1954 (I picked '54 because all the girls until Nellie came from years ending in 4).

    1954 Timeline

    I was especially interested to see this is when ground was broken for Disneyland and the Disney show premiered on TV. I wonder if AG has ever considered doing a joint deal of some kind with Disney? Maybe a 50s doll who watches the show and who gets to visit Disneyland and tie that in with an AG promo at Disneyland? Just a thought.

    And not to overlook the obvious, but didn't Barbie dolls get started in the 1950s? I wonder if they'd dare to do a mini Barbie as a doll for an AG '50s girl?

  7. #17
    Inactive Member Pat B's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 10th, 2002
    Posts
    321
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I dont remember Barbie untill the early 60s.
    1950s dolls were boring- baby and girl dolls so we could recreate what we saw around us and do-not-touch Madame Alexander dolls.
    Mickey Mouse club cap with ears for the 1950s doll- definately.

  8. #18
    courtneysunshine
    Guest courtneysunshine's Avatar

    Post

    Didn't the first Barbie appear in 1959? I think the Disney thing would be a GREAT idea! There are so many different avenues you could take with this. Maybe we could write to AG with the idea? You never know. I know they came out with a WDW Barbie. Also, Mattel already has agreements with Disney. There is a huge Mattel (over priced [img]smile.gif[/img] ) store at Downtown Disney and they have already have numerous Disney/Mattel items. I don't know if these were available worldwide, but they definitely are/were at WDW. (As a side note and chuckle here. We got our flyer in the mail yesterday about renewing our annual passes to WDW. The "special" price is $300/adult and $254/child (3-9) At those prices, we'd have to go A LOT to make up the price of the passes. Just think of the AG things you could buy with that!)

    Kim [img]smile.gif[/img]

  9. #19
    Inactive Member TaffyCheerful's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2002
    Posts
    544
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Disneyland opened in 1955 -- I was there that summer even though many of the rides had not been wrung out yet.

    Ruth Handler invented the Barbie doll in 1959. Ruth died in 2002.

    Chatty Cathy came out in in 1960.

    Taffy

  10. #20
    Inactive Member Grapedy1982's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 8th, 2004
    Posts
    400
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've got a friend that found a pair of saddle shoes at Payless, so I'm going to be checking there when it starts cooling off to the right weather to wear them!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •